Thursday, October 15, 2009

Endurance

Today I did something that was very hard for me to do. For a few months I have been working on running this hill (almost a mile of hill) that has frustrated me because I haven't been able to finish it without stopping to walk. Well, today I told it who was boss! It felt great. Even though everything physical in my body was screaming at me to stop, I persevered and did it. As I was doing this I thought of all the emotional and down right hard hills in my life right now. I don't want to sound like I am complaining, but life is NOT easy, nor perfect. A friend of mine asked me how to increase spiritual endurance and I thought just like in physical running in order to increase your endurance you have to do hills, just like in life we are all going to face our emotional and spiritual "hills". Sometimes I find myself when I look at other people's blogs I think,"Wow, they seem to have the perfect life," or "I wish I had that." But I have really come to realize that blogs are really what the author wants them to be. We will all have our struggles in life. It is part of life, but the key is how we CHOOSE to deal with them. Life is really all about choices and self mastery. I can honestly say that the experiences that I have gone through and still face have broken my heart, but they haven't broken me. I am so grateful! It really is true, "that which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger." But it is still a choice!

4 comments:

Honey said...

What a great post, Reece - I love it. Congrats on telling that hill who's boss! Awesome.

You are a rock! It IS all about choices, and how we deal with what life hands us. You're amazing and I'm so proud of you. As Dad would say "you're a tough babe!" We love you, and pray for you. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

The Henwood's said...

Way to go Reece!!!

When you climb those "hills", it is at the top is where you can 'see' with greater distance and clarity the bigger picture of where you have been and the distance you can continue to go! The 'strait and narrow' is not FLAT!!! And when you have climbed, you can reach out to help people UP-just like you are doing! Love you!!!

Debbie and Bobby said...

Great post Charisse. Thanks for your words of wisdom. you are so strong!

McKinlay Family said...

Love this post... I did a hill last night and ironically it was up to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple. I did have to walk it. When I got to the top I just sat on the stairs of the temple and looked out and thought about things and all the "hills" we have in our life. You are awesome. Why are we not hanging out more????