Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Story of Us Part One

I am so far behind on this blog that I need to rewind 9 months and document how Travis and I met, dated, and got married all within 3.5 months.

Back in November 2011 I remember being so discouraged and depressed about "the singles scene." Being single after being divorced with children is very eye opening to say the least. I did my best every weekend that Blake and Ashley were with their Dad to get out and have fun and try to meet new people. I remember one night coming home after a dance and just feeling totally defeated emotionally. At this dance there were creeper old guys, weird guys and I just didn't want to be there after awhile. I came home and hit my knees with tears in my eyes and said,"Heavenly Father if that is what is left I am fine with being single the rest of my life." After my prayer I really did feel like I was going to be single the rest of my life and I was totally okay with it.

As December began major trials hit me, one after the other and other. One major one was my arm I had broken earlier in the year wasn't getting better. After so many physical therapy appointments, which were $80 each time, and doctor visits with different surgeons not one doctor would operate on my elbow. Each doctor would say they didn't specialize in elbows only shoulders or knees. I was so mad. December 14th, I came home and just cried to my Mom, and I remember being so mad I said "Why does everything have to be so dang hard?" I didn't say dang, I said the other d word, and I felt totally justified saying it. I was so fed up with everything being so hard, I wanted atleast one thing in my life to come easy. 

December 15th (the very next day) my Dad calls me from upstairs and says, "Hey Reece, I have a guy here who wants to take you on a date!" What on earth!! I had just gotten out of the shower and had a towel on my head. Thankfully a guy wasn't actually at the house my Dad got an email. "Come see this email, Reece." Email, what? I had tried online dating for a month. Never again. Worst date of my life!! I walk into my parents room feeling nervous, sick to my stomach, but curious. Before my Dad read the email I asked him what the guys name was. My Dad replied, "Travis Beckett." The Spirit hit me like a ton of bricks, "thats him" he said. I had this undeniable confirmation that I indeed recognized his name, but also knew I was going to marry him. I stood there stunned, remember my prayer? All in a few seconds I rationalized how that could not be, I didn't even know this guy, I had told Heavenly Father that I was okay not being married. I was terrified to say the least. Then my Dad started reading the email. This guy seemed normal, nice and funny even. My Dad had told him before that he had a daughter with two kids and Travis was more than welcome to take me out. If you know my Dad this is not unusual of him. Everyone a matchmaker he says. Travis was just emailing my Dad to see if that offer still stood and if he could get my contact info. My Dad said, "So Reece, what do you think? I stood there still shocked and terrified, but something deep down said "do it." I told my Dad to give him my email and phone number.

Three days later (Travis said he waited that long because he too was scared) I was coming home from a doctors appointment. I had finally found a surgeon in SLC that not only would do my surgery but specialized in elbows. Major tender mercy. As I pulled into the driveway my phone lit up. That meant I had an email. I looked to see who from and I remember gasping, it was from a Travis Beckett.

2 comments:

Heidi Greaves said...

I love it :) I can't wait to read the rest.

Honey said...

Olivia was talking a lot about Travis yesterday. "I know what his voice sounds like. And his screams. And his jumping really high on the trampoline." It was cute. About a month ago I walked into her room and she and Lucy were playing "Travis and Reecy." Not sure what all that entailed but it made me chuckle. :)

Love you all!